PPP loan recipients got some welcome relief on Friday when the Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020 was signed into law, extending the amount of time to use the loan and making it easier to be eligible for loan forgiveness. Originally, in order to receive forgiveness for the PPP loan, recipients were required to use at least 75% of the funds on payroll within 8 weeks of loan disbursement. This proved challenging to some businesses who were fortunate to receive the loan, but may still have been ordered closed pursuant to state stay at home orders, or had not fully ramped up to full employment. The Act is intended to alleviate some of the requirements for forgiveness of the loan. The new law extends the time forgiveness time frame for use of the loan proceeds from 8 to 24 weeks, or the end of the year, whichever is later.
The Act also reduces the amount of the loan that must be used on payroll expenses and still qualify for forgiveness. The amount of the loan proceeds that must be spent on payroll expenses went from 75% to 60%, and borrowers may use the other 40% for rent, utilities, or mortgage obligations.
There are also new exceptions to the requirement of restoring full employment to pre-pandemic numbers. The first exception relates to the inability to rehire employees who were employed on February 15, 2020. The employer must be able to document that the employer in good faith attempted to rehire the employees, but he employees were unable to return. The second relates to the inability to rehire as result of the employer’s compliance with the CDC, OSHA, or Department of Human Services.
Additionally, the new law allows deferral on the payment of eligible payroll taxes, regardless of whether the loan is forgiven.
Finally, the loan repayment maturity date for any non-forgivable loan was extended to five (5) years for new PPP loans. For loans already issued, the law allows borrowers and banks agree to modify the terms of their loan to extend the maturity date to five years.
These clarifications and new provisions provide small businesses the flexibility and additional relief they were seeking once the original PPP Loan Program was quickly rolled out in March. If you have any questions on how to navigate the loan forgiveness program, or any of the other federal programs, please do not hesitate to contact me.
The business and employment attorneys of Dalton & Tomich take your business just as seriously as you do. Attorneys Zana Tomich and Noel Sterett are trusted by closely held family businesses and others across Michigan and Northern Illinois as invaluable partners and counselors. We guarantee all your calls and emails will be returned within one business day so you can focus on what you do best: running your business.
Noel’s guidance was much appreciated when redrafting my client contract. He was very professional, respectful of my time and potential costs, and was sincere with his advice. I trusted that he had the highest good for my business in mind. I will seek out his […]Read More
As a professional photographer in the wedding industry, reliable communication is very important to me. Noel was very knowledgeable and quick to respond to all of my questions and not just that, he also gave me suggestions when reviewing and updating my contract. The entire […]Read More
We highly recommend Dalton & Tomich! As a start-up firm that has rapidly grown across the country in under 5 years, Dalton & Tomich has been integral to our sound, credible, and excellent in standard infrastructure. As we’ve scaled, Zana has been right by our […]Read More
Having worked with Zana for 10 years, I can attest to her professionalism, her pragmatism, and most importantly, her integrity. I always get sound, thoughtful advice and guidance. From routine filings & updates to the highly unexpected, Zana’s there to help, always responding quickly and […]Read More
Zana’s expert guidance has helped us to move forward with clarity and confidence in our business endeavors. She helped us create a new business entity, and a few years later to navigate a tricky buyout—all with a clear path forward for business growth. Her calm […]Read More
Zana’s expertise in employee law has helped us refine and build a stronger operations and hiring strategy at my company. As a business owner of a small and fast growing company, I very much appreciate Zana’s ability to always step into any situation quickly and […]Read More